- Ensure viable, long term business growth, employment and investment in the region making sure we have jobs across a range of sectors that are all year round.
- Respect the authenticity of our local host towns and villages, conserving our built and living cultural heritage, traditional values and contributing to inter-cultural understanding and tolerances.
- Make optimal use of environmental resources that constitute a key element in tourism development, maintaining essential ecological processes and helping to conserve natural heritage and biodiversity.
SHOALHAVEN 360 MODEL EXPLAINED
- Firstly, we define what we believe healthy tourism in the Shoalhaven should look like and we call this our ‘Optimal Conditions’. Essentially, these are things that are important values to us, both as a community and an industry, across 4 key cornerstones; visitor experience; economy; environment and community.
- The second part of the project, the 360 Model itself, seeks to put measures in place to assess how we are performing against each OC. Stage one is now complete and can be viewed via the Shoalhaven 360 button below.
- Lastly, what do we do if things are not going well? The Model also seeks to set up a predefined and agreed set of actions if the monitoring falls outside what we have identified as healthy. We call this Adaptive Management. Shoalhaven Tourism is currently proposing that we set up a Working Group of key stakeholders to meet a few times a year to review the model date and agree to work together on Adaptive Management actions.
The Shoalhaven 360 Model seeks to define what we believe healthy tourism in the Shoalhaven should look like. Essentially, these are things that we value as important, both as a community and an industry, across 4 key cornerstones; visitor experience; economy; environment and community. We call each of these values an ‘Optimal Condition’ (OC). Optimal Conditions are desirable, but should also realistic. In traditional tourism destination management plans this is often represented by a vision, goals and objectives. You can see the Shoalhaven Optimal Conditions across all 4 pillars below.
What we value as important (Optimal Conditions)
1. Overnight visitors come to experience the essence of the region.
2. Overnight visitors experience the essence of the region
3. Overnight visitors are very satisfied with their experience
4. Shoalhaven is an inclusive tourism region.
OVERALL SCORE 1 out of 1
With many indicators scheduled for Phase 2 this is an early indication only.
- Special places are healthy for local residents to use
- Amenity and access to villages is protected
- Local residents value the visitor economy
OVERALL SCORE 1 out of 1 With many indicators scheduled for Phase 2 this is an early indication only.
For any further information or to be on the Shoalhaven 360 enews send us your details.